Asthma is a disease that affects the lungs and results in temporary narrowing of the airways. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, wheezing, coughing and tightness in the chest. It affects over 8% of adults in the United States.
Diagnosis and severity of asthma is determined by lung function testing known as Spirometry. Results are measured in percentages and values of 80% or greater are generally considered normal.
Individuals with this impairment may represent a significant underwriting challenge. However, PREFERRED may be possible for your asthmatic clients!
Criteria that could help applicants qualify for Preferred include:
- No tobacco use
- No hospitalization for asthma in the last 5 years; no other ailments
- Spirometry showing normal results of FVC (Forced Vital Capacity) and FEV1 (Forced Expiratory Volume in one second)
- Treatment may include intermittent (as needed) use of inhaled bronchodilators, brief courses of corticosteroids or low dose medication
- No time off of work or school due to asthma symptoms
- No underwater or high altitude avocations, whether ratable or non-ratable
- Must meet all other regular, published Preferred criteria
So, breathe easier for your clients with an asthma history.
Call the Underwriting Team today for more information on this carrier and to see how we can help get the underwriting offers you need to make the sale!